Walk to Italy – Barcelona
Hola! Welcome to Barcelona.
Barcelona is the second largest city in Spain and is located on the east coast. Antoni Gaudi is considered one of the great architects who vastly influenced buildings in the city. His La Sagrada Familia, a Roman Catholic Church was begun in 1882 and is still under construction many years after his death. Las Ramblas is a famous street marketplace in Barcelona where you can buy art, jewellery and other crafts. Small savoury dishes called Tapas are very popular among the Spanish. Tapas is typically consumed with drinks at a bar.
Montessori Fact: Maria Montessori lived here from 1916 to 1936. The Montessori 4th Congress was also held here in 1916.
Barcelona Fun Facts:
- Barcelona City Council founded the first Casa dels nens (Children’s House) in 1915 following the Montessori Method. The method quickly spread and by the end of 1915 there were 13 schools in Barcelona following the method
- Barcelona is to thank for World Book Day. St. George’s Day is a festival held in Barcelona to celebrate love and literacy, this inspired UNESCO to declare this day as World Book Day
- Barcelona is the home to the biggest stadium of its kind on the continent of Europe Camp Nou, which is home to Barcelona FC and has capacity for 99, 354 spectators!
Activity: Recipe- Chicken & Chorizo Paella
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken breast fillets, cut into chunks
- 2 small onions, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 140g chorizo, sliced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- pinch of saffron
- 1 tsp paprika
- 300g paella rice
- 850ml hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 200g frozen peas
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, to serve
- ½ small bunch of parsley, finely chopped, to serve
Step 1: Heat the olive oil in a deep frying pan over a high heat. Brown the chicken all over – don’t cook completely. Once browned, transfer to a plate.
Step 2: Reduce the heat to low, add the onions and cook slowly until softened, about 10 mins. Add the garlic, stir for 1 min, then toss in the chorizo and fry until it releases its oils.
Step 3: Stir in the spices, then tip in the rice. Stir to coat the rice in the oils and spices for about 2 mins, then pour in the stock. Bring to the boil, return the chicken to the pan and simmer for about 20 mins, stirring occasionally.
Step 4: Add the peas to the pan and simmer for a further 5 mins until the rice is cooked and the chicken is tender. Season well and serve with the lemon and parsley.