|Module Code||BAHPSY 107|
|Module Title||Academic and Professional Development (APD1)|
|Parent Programme/Stage||BA(Hons) Psychology||Stage One|
|Delivery Mode||FT/PT Blended|
|NFQ||Irish National Framework of Qualifications /Level 6|
|EFQ||European Qualifications Framework /Level 5|
|Workload (hours per week)||3 hours per week 2 x lec/1 x tutorial|
|Description||Develops competence in information search, analysis and synthesis and associated essay writing skills. Content designed to develop students as consumers of psychological research. Lectures/tutorials/ independent study/use of Moodle for directed self–study tasks|
|Assessment||CA: 100% 2x assignments /ongoing|
|On successful completion of this module the learner will be able to:|
|107A:||Demonstrate a range of academic skills: reading, note taking, listening, questioning, discussing, reflecting analysing, synthesising, citing and referencing.|
|107B:||Read and assess academic writing identifying the key attributes and characteristics of good academic practice.|
|107C:||Develop critical thinking skills and distinguish between critical and descriptive writing.|
|107D:||Utilise information technology to support their own learning, to present information and to access appropriate data bases, on–line journals and other e–learning resources.|
|107E:||Display skills in time management, planning, organisation, self–motivation, presentation and communication.|
– Academic Skills:
– Adjusting to third level education: personal and professional aims.
– Engagement with lecturers. Engagement with course content.
– ICT: Getting the best use from Moodle; using technology to aid study; using technology to develop a poster, a blog, to share information; using search engines such as EBSCO.
– Academic procrastination
– Study Skills: exploring learning styles, developing study skills: how to study, how to take notes, motivation, metacognition, planning/time management, study skills for online learners
– Active reading: How to review a book or article.
– APA writing style according to the APA Publication Manual, 7th Edition.
– Academic Skills: What constitutes an academic source? the writing process; writing styles; writing at 3rd level; clarity of expression; coherence; rules of academic writing.
– Academic Skills: referencing; citing; paraphrasing; primary & secondary sources, quoting, plagiarism
– Essay writing; proofreading.
– The reflective process